Interlibrary Loan Requests
The Interlibrary Loan Requests accordion displays up to 500 or the past five years worth of interlibrary loan requests placed by the patron. From the accordion, patrons can create new requests, cancel or renew requests (if enabled), and view articles from Article Exchange, knowledge base, or Open Access links.
- 1. Active requests
- This message will display if your library has set a limit for patrons' active requests. Each of your patrons will be unable to request more than the limit allowed by your library. For example, in the above image, patrons cannot have more than 100 active requests. If they have 100 active requests, they will be unable to create or submit new requests. They will have to wait until one of their active requests has been completed or canceled in order to submit new requests.
- See Patron Request Management for information on configuring patron request limits.
- If patron request limits are enabled, and a patron has reached their limit, the Create Request button will be disabled. If they try to submit a request through your online catalog, using OpenURL, the Submit Request button on the form will also be disabled.
- 2. Create Request
- Patrons can click Create Request to create an interlibrary loan request. The forms that you configure in Service Configuration on the Patron Request Workforms screen will be accessible to the patrons on the Submit an Interlibrary Loan Request screen.
- 3. Request ID
- The Request ID for the patron's request is listed in the Request ID column. Click the Request ID to see the Request Details.
- 4. Title
- The Title column displays the title (or journal title and article title), author, and format of the item requested by the patron. If you update this information via Tipasa, the title information in the user portal will also be updated.
- 5. Status
- The Status column displays the status of the request. Patrons can also access Article Exchange, knowledge base, or open access links. To view a copy, patrons should click Available to view. The statuses displayed to patrons are a simplified set and may have different names than those in librarian-facing administrative settings. For information on how statuses appear in Tipasa and the user portal, see ILL statuses.
- 6. Pickup Location
- The Pickup Location column displays the patron's preferred pickup location. This is where they will pickup any physical copies they receive. Pickup locations can be added to any Article, Book, and Other Forms you configure. See Configure your patron request forms for details on how to configure the patron request forms.
- 7. Sort by
- Patrons can use the options in the Sort by list to determine how their requests are sorted. They can sort by:
- Most Recent
- Pickup Location (A - Z)
- Pickup Location (Z - A)
- Request ID (Low - High)
- Request ID (High - Low)
- Status (A - Z)
- Status (Z - A)
- Title (A - Z)
- Title (Z - A)
- 8. Cancel and renew
- If you have enabled the cancel and/or renew buttons, they will show in this column. Patrons are able to cancel items until they have been shipped by the lender. Patrons can renew loan items after they have checked the item out.
- For information on configuring these features, see .
- If enabled, the Cancel button appears if the user portal status is Submitted. To cancel a request, click Cancel.
- If enabled, and the request is a loan request, the renew button appears if the user portal status is Received by Library or Due. To renew a request, click Renew.
- For more information on statuses, see ILL statuses.
The Request Details screen shows detailed information about the patron's request. If you change any information in the patron's request in the staff interface, it will be reflected in the user portal.
- 1. Request Details
- The top of the Request Details screen contains information about the patron's request. Patrons can also cancel or renew requests. These buttons only display if you have turned them on in Service Configuration. See Patron Settings for more information. If enabled, the Cancel button appears if the user portal status is Submitted. To cancel a request, click Cancel If enabled, and the request is a loan request, the renew button appears if the user portal status is Received by Library or Due. To renew a request, click Renew.
- 2. Notifications
- The Notifications accordion displays all of the notifications that have been sent to the patron about their interlibrary loan requests. Notifications must be set up by your library in order for your patrons to receive them. Your can set up notifications in OCLC Service Configuration. For more information on notifications, see Set up Notifications.
- 3. Notes
- The Notes accordion displays any notes about the patron's request. It can contain the following information: Patron need by date. The patron need by date will be displayed in this format: NB:YYYYMMDD Max cost amount. The Patron Max cost that the patron entered on the request form. This is the maximum amount they are willing to pay for the request item. The max cost amount will be displayed in this format: MC: ##.##
- 4. Additional Information
- Any additional information about the patron's request appears here.
Submit an Interlibrary Loan Request
When patrons click Create Request under Interlibrary Loan Requests, they will be taken to the Submit an Interlibrary Loan Request screen. The Patron Request Workforms you configure in Service Configuration will appear on this screen. Patrons can use the forms you have enabled to submit a request. The Article request form is the default form. Patrons must click Book or Other in order to fill out a different request form.
Add direct links to your library website to point users toward specific forms for making their ILL requests.
Find your Registry ID:
- Sign in to OCLC Service Configuration
- Navigate to the WorldCat Registry > Identifiers
- Find the Identifier Type WorldCat Registry ID and the associated number
Use the following formats to create your request URL:
- Book https://registryid.account.worldcat.org/profile/route/workform-book
- Article https://registryid.account.worldcat.org/profile/route/workform-article
- Other https://registryid.account.worldcat.org/profile/route/workform-other
Note: You will need to substitute your institution's registry ID to customize the direct links. If you have customized your patron request form names, the direct link name will not reflect those changes.