It is used in the ILLiad Database Manager as a limitation on Search. So if you want to delete patrons or cause them to no longer use the system. You would check the box to Limit to the patrons whose expiration date has passed. Please see ILLiad Database Manager documentation. Also, the Customization keys that are used to define the Expiration date are the UserExpirationUndergraduate, UserExpirationGraduate, UserExpirationFaculty, and UserExpirationStaff. If you have other Statuses, you can create keys with those statuses following the keys that are already in the system:
1. Go to the Customization table in the Customizaiton Manager. It is under System, General, and then select the Customization table.
2. Find one of the Keys that already exists such as UserExpirationFaculty and select the record. Do not open it.
3. On the top, click on Copy Record.
4. Edit the CustKey so it has your new status. So if it was UserExpirationFaculty and you want it to be Distance, then you change they Custkey to UserExpirationDistance. The Custkey cannot have spaces in it.
5. Edit the Description and Value as you need.
6. Save the change.
With all the keys you have dealing with the User Expiration date, you can set these dates for any amount of time. Most sites decide to put in 365 for one year. Your site needs to decide what you want to use for the number.