- WorldShare Metadata Collection Manager
OCLC provides two different types of WorldShare Data Sync collections that Alma users can utilize to update their holdings in WorldCat.
- To synchronize local holdings with OCLC by sending MARC Format for Holdings Data (LHR or MFHD) records create a Local Holdings Record Data sync Collection in WorldShare Collection Manager. This sends item-level information, such as call numbers, owning location, shelving location and barcodes to OCLC.
- To synchronize bibliographic records with OCLC by sending full MARC bibliographic (BIB) records to maintain title-level WorldCat holdings at the OCLC Institution symbol level create a Bibliographic Data sync Collection in WorldShare Collection Manager. This is the type most libraries use.
Note: If the purpose of your project is to set/delete holdings in WorldCat for every matching record found you should create a Bibliographic collection.
S/FTP Connection Details
- Server: Select the server address for your data center
- Port: 22
- Sub-directory: depending on the collection type, choose one of the following:
- Bibliographic collection type: metacoll/in/bib (most generally used)
- Local Holdings Records collection type: metacoll/in/lhr
- User name: your institution symbol (in lower case)
- Password: Your password is supplied by OCLC. To obtain it, please contact OCLC Support
- Min. number of files: 1
- Max. Number of files: leave blank or choose the largest option
- Max. file size: leave blank – or choose the largest option
- FTP Server Type: Default or MVS
- FTP passive mode: This box should be checked in most cases
Note: Special characters (@, $ and #) in symbols will act as ‘command control codes’ which will halt processing. If you have a special character in your OCLC institution symbol, please convert it as follows:
|If your Institution Symbol contains:||Replace With||Example|
|@||_64||ab@ (becomes) ab_64|
|$||_36||a$b (becomes) a_36b|
|#||_35||ab# (becomes) ab_35|
More information can be found in File name requirements.
Update the Publishing Profile
- Profile Name: you should be in the correct profile: ‘Synchronize bibliographic records with OCLC’
- OCLC Institution symbol: use your institution symbol
- Project ID: leave this box blank
- Collection ID: use your Data Sync Collection ID
- FTP configuration: Use the server address determined above
- Sub-directory: leave blank
- Status: defined by operator
- Scheduling: defined by operator