Collection manager uses four pieces of information from the knowledge base to determine whether to output a record:
- Presence of an OCLC number
- Format value
- Coverage value, and
- Presence of a title URL
Find details about each piece of information below.
1. Presence of an OCLC number
An OCLC number is required for all titles. Any title that does not have an OCLC number with a corresponding record in WorldCat (and that has not been matched to an OCLC number by the system) will not output a record.
2. Format value
Titles in the knowledge base are designated by format with a specific coverage (coverage_depth in KBART) within some formats. Collection Manager uses these format designations to determine record output. Available formats are:
All formats could output records if they meet certain requirements around coverage value and presence of a title URL.
3. Coverage value
Titles that are of Journal format have an associated coverage value.
- Titles that are of Journal format will output records if the titles have a coverage value of:
- Full Text, or
- Titles that are of Journal format will NOT output records if the titles have a coverage value of:
- Selected Full Text
4. Presence of a title URL
Some formats require a title URL to output a record.
- Formats that require an OCLC number and a title URL to output a record:
- Journal (with a coverage value of Full Text)
- Audio, Image, and Video formats
- Formats that require an OCLC but will output a record even if there is no title URL:
- Journal (with a coverage value of Print)
- Other formats
- Database-only collections: Database-only collections do not have titles and will not output records
- Items without a URL: Full Text and Print are coverage values for titles of the Journal format. Libraries use the Journal format with Print coverage to designate print serial titles or any item without a URL
- The "Other" format value: The format value "Other" is a placeholder for titles of a type that are not currently supported.
- Creating collections with only OCLC numbers: Setting holdings in WorldCat and retrieving records can be supported simply by storing the OCLC number for titles of some formats. You do not need to populate all of the KBART fields or title-level fields in the interface to manage:
- Titles with the format value "Other"
- Titles with the format value "Journal" with coverage value "Print"