Editing capabilities for local holdings records
- You need a Full-level Connexion authorization to create, edit, replace, or delete an LHR.
- With at least a Full-level authorization , you can edit LHRs that belong to your institution. Your own records open in edit mode so you can begin entering or updating content immediately.
- You cannot edit LHRs that belong to another institution. Other libraries' LHRs open in display mode (view only). You can derive a new LHR from a record in display mode and then complete the record for your use.
- Unavailable actions. You cannot save or export a local holdings record.
- A holdings agent (when logged in using an Agent authorization) can create, edit, replace, and delete LHRs for a client institution.
- When logged in as an agent, you cannot automatically maintain LHRs for your own institution, unless your institution is profiled as a client,
- If your institution is not among your clients, you must log in with an individual authorization to maintain your own LHRs.
Edit mode and display mode
|mode||when in effect|
When you view local holdings records for your institution or (when you log in as an Agent) for a client institution.
To begin editing:
When you view local holdings records for another institution or (when you log in as an Agent) records for non-client institutions.
Display mode is also in effect for your own records:
With a Search level authorization, only display mode is available.
Local holdings record views (edit and display)
The table describes how MARC holdings records appear in edit mode or display mode.
|MARC Template edit view||Template view for editing in MARC21 Format for Holdings Data. Compliant with MARC 21 standard.
Content for each field is viewed and edited in a row of text boxes. Provides Functions list for adding/removing fields.
More guidance for entering data is available by expanding the field. In expanded fields, you can select coded values from lists and view specific guidelines for each element or subfield.
To view input guidelines, select Help on the Functions list or type a tag number or an element label (for elements in fixed-length fields) in the MARC Help text box and click MARC Help . In expanded fields, click the hyperlinked subfield/element label to view specific input guidelines.
|MARC display view||View for displaying records in read-only format. Other institutions' LHRs always appear in this view. To view input guidelines, click a hyperlinked tag number or type a tag number or an element label (for elements in fixed-length fields) in the MARC Help text box and click MARC Help.|
Caution: Store edits on server before moving to another screen
- If you edit fields in a local holdings record without interacting with the server, and then move to another screen (for example, to search WorldCat), you lose all changes made since the last server interaction. When you resume editing, the system redisplays the working copy of the record as it exists on the server, not necessarily as it last appeared on your screen.
- Changes to the text of record fields are not sent to the server until you take an action on the record (such as reformat or validate), or use the Functions list to take field-level actions. These actions send a request to the server, along with the displayed record content. The server responds by taking the requested action and then redisplaying the updated record.
- As a precaution when editing, occasionally reformat the record to make sure that your changes are stored on the server.
- Inactivity timeout. As an added benefit, occasional interaction with the server prevents the inactivity timer from ending your session. Only server interactions count as session activity.
Logoff warning for local holdings records
- When you log off, Connexion checks for local holdings records currently in edit mode.
- If you started editing a local holdings record or created a new LHR, but have not taken a final action (Add Record or Replace Record) on the new or modified LHR, the system reminds you to complete editing and take an action before logging off.
- To view the LHR(s), on the Cataloging tab, under Show, click Active Records or press <Ctrl><Shift><9>. At the Active Records screen under Bibliographic Records, attached LHRs are listed under the hyperlinked title of the bibliographic record. Click the link for the LHR you want to review.
- To log off and discard unsaved changes to the record(s), on the message screen click Logoff anyway.
- Turn off logoff warning for active records.
If you prefer not to be notified about active records before logging off, use the Show or Hide Logoff Warning option to prevent the system from displaying this warning.
- On the General tab, click Admin. On the Preferences screen, click General Options. Then click Interface Customization Options.
- On the Interface Customization Options screen, find the Show or Hide Logoff Warning option and select Hide.