Configure the website
CONTENTdm provides you with the Website Configuration Tool for branding and tailoring the appearance and behavior of key elements of your CONTENTdm Website and collections.
This tool enables you to configure your site by setting default values, enabling or disabling components, choosing colors, fonts and styles, and describing your website and collections. All of this is accomplished without programming skills.
You can configure your website at either a global or collection level. Global settings are the default for your entire website. Collection settings affect only one collection. If no settings exist for a collection, then global settings are used. Any configurations set for a collection will override the global configurations.
The Website Configuration Tool also enables you to use "modular customizations," including custom pages, custom CSS or custom scripts (e.g., to add a shopping cart or Google Analytics). These optional, modular customizations require some programming skills.
Configuring and customizing the website globally or at the collection level requires the appropriate permissions set in CONTENTdm Administration. For more information, see Users.
The Website Configuration Tool enables you to:
- Refine page content, styles and behaviors.
- Refine item displays (including preventing words from being hyperlinked within metadata displays, display of full text).
- Refine navigation and behavior of UI widgets and other features.
- Preview changes in your configurations before publishing.
Note: Configurations made on the Global Settings tab apply to all collections on the website. To make specific changes to individual collections, select the Collection-level Settings tab. Any collection-level settings will override global settings
Website configurations are stored in .css and config (XML) files that should only be edited using the Website Configuration Tool. Manual editing is unsupported due to the complexity of these files.
When you edit website configurations, you are working on a copy of your production style (.css) and configuration (.ini) files. The Website Configuration Tool makes a copy of the production settings files when it starts.
Accessing the Website Configuration Tool
- Navigate to your CONTENTdm Administration URL.
- For Hosted users: Check your Welcome e-mail.
- For local installations: Check with your CONTENTdm Administrator.
- From CONTENTdm Administration, click the Server or Collections tab and then click Website. The Website Configuration Tool displays in a new window or tab.
- Log in using the same user name and password that you use when accessing CONTENTdm Administration.
Options for retaining changes in the Website Configuration Tool
Caution: To manage changes and avoid simultaneous overwriting of configurations, we recommend that only one person at a time use the Website Configuration Tool.
Your changes are saved to the working copy and not to production.
You can revert to the last published version of your website by selecting More > Undo Save.
|Preview||You can view your site using the working copy to verify your changes before publishing to production.|
|Publish||The changes are published to the production settings.|
|More||Select More > Undo Save in order to revert back to the previously published state.|